It is difficult to say exactly when the cinema was opened in Alytus, but according to archival data, in 1920. K. Šulmanas had registered a cinematographer's company. in 1929 a movie theater was already operating in this building. For a long time, it was called "Shulman's cinema", later - "Palas".
At the end of the era of silent cinema, "Palas" was temporarily closed for renovations to renovate and install sound equipment. After the repairs were completed, movie tickets also became more expensive. After the decrease in income and the appearance of competitors, the owner of "Palas" will start applying discounts to high school students on Sundays. There were 2 screenings in the cinema every day. The repertoire of films did not differ from Kaunas. in 1939 the owner of the "Palas" cinema renamed it "Dainava". During the Second World War, after the Germans occupied Alytus, 15 different documentaries and film screenings were shown in the cinema per week. After the start of active hostilities, the cinema "Dainava" was also damaged: the equipment was looted, and the hall and the building were destroyed. After arranging the hall and bringing the equipment in 1944. October 27 movies have been resumed.
in 1952 the cinema was reconstructed, and its facade was remodeled. Ears of rye appeared above the door (they were inseparable from communism in the Soviet Union).
After 1960, when the new Alytus cinema was built, it was given the name "Dainava", and the old cinema was given the name "Taikos". The last movie session was shown there in 2002.
Vilniaus st. 25, Alytus
GPS: 54.399506, 24.048342 (WGS)
Photos from the Alytus TIC archive