One of the most noteworthy houses in Alytus dating from the interwar period is Zimavičienė's brick house. It was the first three-storey house in interwar Alytus, completed in 1932. Halfway through the house's construction, Kostas Zimavičius died. His wife, Adelė Zimavičienė, saw to its completion, and so the locals called it Zimavičienė's brick house. A year later, the owner rented space in the house to shops and associations, but rejected the municipal authorities' proposal to establish a modern hotel on one floor. During the Second World War, by pure chance the building remained standing after German aerial bombardment, including a direct hit by a bomb that failed to explode. After the war, the building was repaired, and it stands to the present day.
Author of photograph B. Malaškevičiūtė