In 1936, Alytus branch of the Society for Tuberculosis Treatment decided to establish in the city a hospital-sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. 16 Houses, called “summerhouses”, were to be built in the Alytus pine-forest, with 35 beds for patients. In 1937, the first wooden house, a villa suitable for use in winter as well, was built and named Birutė. A year later, a second such villa was built and named Gražina, along with 10 summerhouses. The small summerhouses could accommodate 2-3 patients. In 1939, a three-storey brick house with modern conveniences and verandas was built and named Jūra.
Adjacent to the sanatorium, near the Nemunas, there is a small cemetery. It is thought that the cemetery was already there in the 19th century. After the sanatorium was established, patients who died were buried in the cemetery.
Author of photographs G. Bernatavičius