A stone bearing plaques in Lithuanian and French was unveiled in 1981, honouring the pilots of the “Normandija- Nemunas” squadron. The following is inscribed on the plaques: “In August 1944, the Normandy- Nemunas regiment of fighter planes was based at and carried out missions from this aerodrome.”
The legendary squadron was stationed in Alytus from July to September 1944. The Squadron flew missions from the adjacent aerodrome. While stationed in Alytus, the Normandy squadron was informed that Nemunas would be added to its name in recognition of its military success.
Author of photograph G. Bernatavičius