Architecture of St. Jacob the Apostle church combines baroque and classical style. It was built in 1863. Meanwhile, the first church in Punia was built back in 1425. They say that Vytautas the Great ordered to build it, for this reason, he has been commemorated until nowadays – there is a portrait of the duke next to the coat of arms of Punia in the church. Vytautas the Great liked Punia very much and defended it from enemies on a number of occasions. He also had his residence here. As Guillebert de Lannoy, a Flemish traveller and diplomat and adviser to the Burgundy duke, who visited the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1412-1413, stated, to meet Vytautas the Great he had to go to Punia. The grand duke spent two months a year here. The traveller also told that he met the duke’s wife and daughter in the residence as well.
Kauno g. 1, Punia, Alytaus r., tel. +370 315 68 680
GPS: 54.512021, 24.095688 (WGS)
Authors of photographs: A. Lavrėnovas, J. Struckienė, M. Šematulskis.